Our C-56 "Lodestar" was delivered to the United States Air Corps in June of 1941, and was fitted out for executive transport duties. Her first assignment was to Bolling Field, Washington, D.C. Later transferred to the National Guard Bureau, she served with the armed forces until 1945. Her records are blank between 1945 and 1963. Penn Central Airlines took over ownership for a short period after 1963. After this point she passed through a number of owners until being donated to the Travis Heritage Center in January 1985.
Our C-56 is a variant of the Lockheed model 18, a 17 passenger civilian airliner. Other variants were the C-57, C-59 and the C-60 which was produced specifically for military use. These aircraft received different numerical designations depending on engine type.
After a complete restoration, our C-56 will join the aircraft on display, painted as it was when assigned to Bolling Field.
- Wing Span: 65'8"
- Length: 49'10"
- Height: 11'1 "
- Maximum Speed: 253 M.P.H. at Sea Level
- Ceiling: 23,300 Ft.
- Range: 1,600 Miles
- Crew: 3 plus 17 passengers
- Engines: 2 x 1,200 H.P. Wright R-1820-71 "Cyclone" radial engines
Information derived from “Travis Heritage Center” by Nick Veronico copyright Travis AFB Historical Society/Jimmy Doolittle Air and Space Museum Foundation. This book is available from the Jimmy Doolittle Air and Space Museum GIFT SHOP located in the Travis Heritage Center.